Frequently Asked Questions
What is the RunPlusMinus™ statistic?
- It is a single number that combines the batting, fielding, pitching and running on-field performances of players and teams
Why does RunPlusMinus™ claim to be the best?
- It satisfies the five “CRAZI” attributes necessary for an ideal statistic. It is:
- Comprehensive: derived from every player’s participation in every play
- Run-based: measured in runs (real and potential)
- Additive: game, team and player totals have real meaning
- Zero-sum: Offense + Defense values always add to zero
- Independent: player values do not depend on teammates, only on historical averages
- Values for the 2018 Major League Season were calculated from 48 million data points
- Here is comparison between RunPlusMinus and OpenWAR
- RunPlusMinus incorporates the Park Effect
How can RunPlusMinus™ be used?
- To measure and compare the performance of players
- To forecast the performance of teams
- To assist in-game decision making
- To evaluate player trades and roster changes
Where can I read more about RunPlusMinus™?
- We are publishing new articles on Medium that can be found here.
Want to work with us? Interested to learn more?